A delicious vegetarian spaghetti bolognese that looks and tastes a lot like meat!
While I’m not a vegetarian, I rarely eat ground beef. That’s because years ago I discovered Yve’s veggie ground products and I’ve never looked back! I’ve tried other brands, but Yve’s is by far my favourite. The consistency and texture is the closest thing I could find to real ground beef, but the flavour is what really makes this product top notch. They have a variety of different flavours like Mexican, Italian, Thai and regular (there very well may be more but these are the ones I’ve tried). Even though they’re flavoured, I still add my regular seasoning to a dish and the combo of flavours makes for an even more flavourful dish! This blog post definitely isn’t an Yve’s ad, but I just can’t help share my love of this product!
Moving on to my vegetarian spaghetti dish though… this is such a super quick and easy weeknight dinner! You can throw it together in about 30 minutes and while you still get that hearty pasta dish, it does feel lighter because you’re not using real meat. Top with some parmesan cheese and serve with a side of salad or garlic bread and you have one tasty meal.
Want to try some of other pasta dishes?
- Large pan
- Medium pot
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 handful white mushrooms chopped
- 230 g spaghetti noodles
- 1 tsp salt / to taste
- 1 tsp pepper / to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp basil
- 340 g Yve's Italian veggie ground
- 680 mL strained tomato sauce I used the Passata brand
- 2 tbsp pasta water
- 1 tbsp parmesan plus extra to put on top when serving
- Cook the spaghetti noodles in salted water until al dente, as per packet instructions. Be sure to save some pasta water for later. Set aside once done.
- Heat the large pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sauté the onions for about 2 minutes. Next, add the garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and basil and mix until combined. Add the pepper and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Next, add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Turn heat down to medium, add the veggie ground and cook for 2 minutes. Next, add the tomato sauce, parmesan and pasta water and let the contents come to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and simmer for at least 5 minutes.
- Once the vegetarian bolognese is done, add the noodles to ensure they are full coated by the sauce. To serve, top with some extra parmesan cheese and with a side of garlic bread or a salad and enjoy!