A creamy, cheesy spinach ricotta cannelloni covered in marinara sauce
If you’ve never tried cannelloni before, you’re missing out! I fell in love with the dish years ago at an adorable Italian restaurant in Guelph, Ontario called Buon Gusto. Their specific dish was mushroom cannelloni and it was absolutely to DIE for. I still think about it to this day, more than 7 years later. My dish clearly isn’t a copy of that because I decided to use spinach instead of mushrooms. Not to worry though, one day I’ll attempt to recreate that delicious dish that is forever ingrained in my memory. For now, you’ll just have to enjoy my Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni recipe.
Spinach and ricotta is a classic combination. Paired with pasta and marinara sauce, you can’t go wrong. The essence of this recipe is quite simple, but it’s the act of filling the cannelloni’s that takes the most time. I decided to use ready-to-bake cannelloni’s because it’s much easier filling a hard and sturdy piece of pasta as opposed to a cooked piece of pasta. However, to each their own! Serve with a side of greens or vegetables of your choosing and you have yourself one delicious meal.
Want to try some other pasta recipes?
Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni
- Glass lasagna baking dish
- Large bowl
- 6 cups spinach chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 415 g ricotta
- 1.1 L marinara sauce
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ⅛ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- pinch nutmeg ground
- salt & pepper to taste
- 200 g cannelloni I used the ready to bake kind
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Start by making the spinach ricotta filling. Heat a pan on medium to high heat. Add olive oil and the chopped spinach. Turn heat down to medium, add the garlic and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Strain the spinach and squeeze out any excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine the wilted spinach, ricotta, egg, mozzarella (leaving a few tbsp to the side), parmesan, nutmeg, salt and pepper to form your filling.
- Fill each piece of cannelloni pasta with your spinach filling.
- Cover the bottom of the glass baking dish with marinara sauce. Fill the entire dish with your filled cannelloni's. Cover with the remaining marinara sauce and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and cook uncovered for an additional 8 minutes. Let the dish rest for 5-10 minutes and you're ready to serve!