Mmmm meatballs… in a mushroom sauce
Meatballs are so versatile. You can have them with pasta or potatoes, in a creamy or tomato based sauce, the options are endless! This recipe is an adaptation of my mom’s meatballs in mushroom sauce. We had some gnocchi’s in the fridge so that’s what I used, but otherwise this recipe would be perfect over some mashed potatoes.
How to make it…
Assembling the meatballs is quite easy, just mix all the ingredients together and make meatballs about the size of a golf ball. I always mix everything with my hands, but some prefer using a spoon. Once your golf ball-sized meatballs are formed, fry them until lightly browned all over. They’ll finish cooking in the sauce.
To make the sauce, you can use whatever mushrooms you have handy. I used mini bella’s and white mushrooms. Once the onion and garlic is sautéed, add the mushrooms and vegetable broth. Once reduced, add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese to create the base of your sauce. Return the meatballs to the pan so they finish cooking and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens into a delicious creamy sauce.
This same meatball recipe can be used with a tomato sauce over pasta to make a classic spaghetti and meatballs. So, whether you choose to make the mushroom sauce or not, the meatballs stand out on their own too!
The base of your dish doesn’t have to be gnocchi’s, any kind of pasta or potatoes also suit these meatballs. My personal favourite is mashed potatoes because the mushroom sauce doubles as a gravy, yum!
Meatballs in Mushroom Sauce
- Large saucepan
- Large bowl
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 med yellow onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh or dry
- 1 tsp oregano
- 8 oz mini bella mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- ½ small red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add all of the meatball ingredients and mix until well combined. Form meatballs about the size of a golf ball.
- Over high heat, add the olive oil to a large saucepan. Once hot, brown the meatballs on each side, about 2 minutes each until the entire meatball is lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn down the heat to medium and in the same pan, add the butter and sauté the red onion for about 1 minute. Next, add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add the sliced mushrooms, salt and pepper (to taste) and continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pan and continue to cook for approximately 4-5 minutes until the stock begins to reduce. Next, add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese and reduce to a simmer. Return the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for approximately 15 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.