Here’s my absolute favourite beet salad…
…and it’s my momma’s recipe. I love my mom’s cooking and there are so many recipes of hers that are my absolute favourites. This is definitely one of them. Whenever I’m away for a long time I always request the same meal: lasagna, beet salad and potatoes. I would die very happy if that was my last meal.
This beet salad might take a while, but it really is super easy to make. Most of the cooking time is spent boiling the beets so it doesn’t actually require that much work. The rest of the time is spent letting it sit and marinate. It’s a great party salad because it makes a decent serving, but if you’re not serving a ton of people, don’t fret! This salad stays good for a week in the fridge and it suits a variety of dishes, particularly a meat and potato combo.
Want to try some other salads?
- Large pot
- Medium-large serving bowl
- 2 lb beets peeled and cooked til soft
- 398 mL peas & carrots canned; drained
- 341 mL corn canned; drained
- 4 cucumbers in brine and garlic chopped
- 1 stalk leek chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp salt
- Peel and boil your beets for 40-60 minutes or until soft.
- Grate the beets into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix until well combined and refrigerate for 24 hours for best results. The salad must sit for a few hours at least to let the flavours marinate.