A super hearty and chunky sausage, bean and kale soup
Soup season is upon us and I couldn’t be more excited! This sort of cassoulet inspired soup is one of my absolute favourites. A sausage, bean and kale soup is the perfect step towards fall and I hope you enjoy this quick and flavourful soup this season.
If you don’t have white beans, why not try black-eyed peas or whatever you have on hand? Also, play around with different kinds of sausages, although I personally like a spicy Italian the best. If you don’t have your own vegetable stock then use a boxed kind or water and bouillon. Last thing, don’t be afraid to add more salt or pepper depending on your taste buds!
Want to try some other soups?
Sausage, Bean and Kale Soup
- Large pot
- 3-4 Italian sausages I prefer to use a spicy kind
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp basil
- 540 mL white beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale destemmed and cut into small bite sized pieces.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large pot, boil the sausages for 8 minutes. Once done, cut the sausages into bite sized pieces and set aside. Clean the pot to reuse for the soup.
- On medium heat, add olive oil, and onion. Sauté for 2 minutes. Next, add the garlic, salt, pepper and chili flakes and cook for an additional minute. Then, add the thyme, oregano, basil, tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add the sausages, vegetable stock, and beans. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the kale and simmer for another 5 minutes and it’s ready to serve!