Another way to celebrate taco Tuesday, with taco puffs!
We absolutely LOVE taco Tuesday in our house. In fact, we celebrate it pretty much on a weekly basis because there are just so many options when it comes to tacos. So here’s my take on a taco appetizer, taco puffs! A great two-bite mouthful of taco meat in crunchy puff pastry. The perfect appetizer for your next event.
Now, if you’ve been following my blog you know that I love to come up with recipes from the ingredients I have in my kitchen. Well, these taco puffs are no exception. We had some Mexican flavoured sausages that I needed to use, so this is what I came up with! If it weren’t for the sausages, I would have probably stuck with ground beef or an imitation ground beef as my taco filling. All in all these tasty little taco cups were a great little treat, especially when topped with some homemade pico de gallo!
- Muffin baking pan
- Medium pan
- 4 Mexican sausages taken out of the sausage skin; or 1 lb of ground beef/imitation ground beef
- 24 g Old El Paso Taco Seasoning or 1 packet
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- In a pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for another minute. Next, add the sausage meat (or alternative) and cook for 7 minutes. Then, turn down to a simmer and add the taco seasoning (following the packet instructions) and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until sauce reduces. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Stack 4 sheets of puff pastry and cut into 6 rectangles. You’ll be putting one of those rectangles (4 sheets) into a muffin cup. Fill each cup with 1 tbsp of the taco meat filling. Cut some additional rectangles of puff pasty, using 1 rectangle sheet to cover the meat filling in each taco puff. Lightly coat the tops of each taco puff with the beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Once done, let cool for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Top the taco puff with some pico de gallo and enjoy!