My all time favourite food… LASAGNA!
MMMMM. I could literally eat lasagna everyday for the rest of my life. It’s by far my favourite food, so much so that I even had the nickname Garfield once. The options are endless in terms of the flavour profile you choose to go for, so I’m sure this won’t be my one and only lasagna recipe.
A couple years ago, my partner and I went on a trip to France and Italy. It was my mission to find the best lasagna. I wasn’t planning on getting it in France, but one random evening, in a random restaurant I placed my order. It was the BEST of the trip. I still remember it to this day. And that beats out each of the 4-5 lasagnas I tried while we were in Italy.
It’s all about the layers…
I love all lasagna, especially my mom’s. She used to always make it for me when I’d come home after weeks or months away. While this recipe is pretty close to my mom’s, I have made a few changes.
- 12 x 16 inch pan
- Large pan
- 450 g lasagna noodles cooked as per packet instructions
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 100 g white mushrooms chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 375 g ground beef extra lean
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 650 ml Primo sauce I used thick and zesty herb and garlic
- 454 g ricotta
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cup mozzarella grate
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook lasagna noodles in salted water until al dente, as per packet instructions. Set aside once done.
- In a large pan, on medium-high heat, add olive oil. Wait til hot and sauté onion for 2 minutes. Next, add garlic, salt and pepper and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Add in the ground beef and Italian seasoning and cook for approximately 8 minutes or until beef has browned.
- Once browned, turn down to medium-low heat. Add chopped red pepper and zucchini and cook for 2 minutes. Next, add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn down to low heat, add the Primo sauce and parmesan cheese. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now it’s time to assemble your lasagna. Preheat your oven to 375°F. Start with some sauce on the bottom of your pan, then lasagna noodles, mozzarella, beef, ricotta, noodles, repeat. There will be 3 layers of noodles. On top of the last layer, top with sauce and mozzarella. Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Rest for 10-15 minutes and serve!