Happy national Mac and Cheese day!
Mac and cheese, mmmm. What a great comfort food that’s perfect as a side or as the main dish. There are just so many options when it comes to this dish! Depending on what cheese you decide to use and whether you decide to add protein or vegetables, the opportunities are endless.
This time, I decided to stick to a classic recipe because I had a bunch of cheese in the fridge that I needed to use. So sticking to the quarantine mentality of using what you got, I made a mozzarella and cheddar version. Our neighbourhood ribfest stand was still up, so we decided to pair it with Silver Bullet BBQ’s ribs.
The key …
It absolutely crushes my soul when I see people post their recipes where they just throw shredded cheese in with some macaroni and bake it. When making mac and cheese, you MUST make a cheese sauce. Otherwise, you’ll have chunky, stringy, half melted cheese on plain pieces of macaroni.
Mac and Cheese
- Medium sauce pan
- Medium pot
- 10 x 10 baking pan
- 454 g cut macaroni cooked al dente
- 1½ cups mozzarella shredded
- 1½ cups old fort cheddar shredded
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 10% cream
- dash nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs or panko
- Cook the macaroni as per packet instructions, about 11 minutes or until al dente.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and mix until well combined and a roux is formed.
- Add the cream, reduce to a medium-low heat and stir constantly. After a few minutes, once the cream is warm, slowly begin adding your shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, a handful at a time, stirring constantly. Once the first handful of cheese melts and is combined, continue to add the cheese, a handful at a time until incorporated. The sauce will thicken as the cheese is added and melted. Once you've added all your cheese and the sauce is a smooth texture, turn of the heat and add the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 380°F. Put half of your cooked macaroni into a baking pan and coat with cheese sauce. Mix so it's well combined before adding the remainder of your macaroni and cheese sauce. Once your mac and cheese is combined, top with seasoned bread crumbs and bake for 15 minutes. Then switch to a low broil and broil for 5 more minutes or until bread crumbs start to brown on the top.