Coming back to our Italian themed dinner last week, I wanted to share my super easy and flavourful chicken parmesan recipe. This is such a comforting recipe that was the perfect accompaniment to my fresh bocconcini salad and Inspired Taste’s focaccia recipe.
How to make it:
First and foremost, it’s important to beat your chicken breasts down into cutlets. I enjoy a thin chicken parmesan cutlet so I slice them in half lengthwise first and then lightly beat the halves until they reach my preferred thickness, about 1 inch.
Next, you want to season the chicken. You can absolutely change the spices based on your preference, but this recipe gives you a traditional flavour. Coat the cutlets in flour, then egg wash and finally in panko.
It’s important to then fry your cutlets in oil first, before assembling them and finishing them off in the oven.
- No panko? No problem. Panko is easily substituted for bread crumbs, but I find that panko results in a crispier chicken cutlet.
- Mozzarella definitely isn’t your only option! You can use parmesan alone or use a different white cheese like provolone.
- In terms of the pasta/tomato sauce, you can used anything you have in your pantry! I used a Compliment’s pasta sauce, but you can even used a plain tomato sauce if that’s all your have on hand.
- Large pan
- Baking sheet
- 3 small bowls
- 2 full chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise and beaten to a 1 inch thickness
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp herbs de provence
- 1-2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup panko
- ½ cup flour
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup pasta sauce I used Compliment's Roasted Onion & Garlic Pasta Sauce.
- 1 cup mozzarella grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Cut the 2 chicken breasts in half lengthwise and then beat each half until chicken is about 1 inch thick. Season each cutlet with ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp garlic powder and ½ tsp herbs de provence.
- In 3 small bowls, put the flour, egg and panko in individual bowls. Coat the seasoned chicken cutlets in the flour, then the egg wash, and lastly the panko until fully covered.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large pan, put oil on medium-high heat. When oil is hot, fry the chicken cutlets for 4 minutes on each side.
- Once fried, place the cutlets on a baking sheet. Put 1/4 cup of the mozzarella on each cutlet. Then cover the mozzarella with 2-3 tbsp of pasta sauce per cutlet. Finally, sprinkle 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese on each cutlet.
- Bake the assembled chicken cutlets for 10 minutes.
- Let cool for 2 minutes and they're ready to serve!