Spring is officially here in Southwestern Ontario, so that means BBQ season is about to ramp up in my household. I love grilling season because there’s just something about cooking outside over the grill or fire that makes food taste better in my opinion. Whether you’re grilling veggies, meat or fruit (yes, fruit!) there’s one staple recipe everyone should have at their fingertips, a good ol’ classic beef burger.
This simple and juicy classic beef burger is super easy to make and definitely beats out the box of frozen burgers you’d buy at the grocery store. All you have to do is combine all the ingredients listed below, form some patties and throw them on the grill. Don’t have a BBQ? Don’t worry! You can still make these on your stove top using a grill pan or a regular pan.
So many toppings to choose from, so this is where you can build the perfect burger based on your taste buds. I decided make a classic bacon cheeseburger (pictured above) topping it with mayo, mustard, ketchup, sliced red onion, pickles, tomatoes and lettuce. The opportunities are endless!
- BBQ (or stove grill top and/or pan)
- Large bowl
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 med yellow onion very finely diced, I personally use a hand held food processor.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 6 buns
- toppings of your choosing
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Preheat BBQ to 450°F
- Make patties to the size of your liking, but remember that they will shrink a bit once cooked. I made 6 patties out of the beef mixture.
- BBQ on each side for about 4-5 minutes, (this depends on the thickness of your burger).
- Toast your bun and top the burger with your preferred toppings.